GFSI Press Advisory
North American icons Tyson, Cargill and Wegmans join with international peers in top industry event
WHAT: Press conference to launch the 16th Global Food Safety Conference, the industry’s flagship global food safety event, bringing together over 1,000 food industry representatives from more than 60 countries.
Announcements at Tuesday’s press conference are expected to reveal groundbreaking strides in public-private collaboration, with the outcomes of the G2G and G2B meetings (government and business) hosted by GFSI just ahead of the conference. This is a unique opportunity for governments to speak amongst themselves and with business leaders on how to best leverage industry investment for better public health outcomes. More than 100 representatives from 25 countries will attend including the USA, Canada, Mexico, the Netherlands, Belgium and the UK. Multilateral organizations such as UNIDO, FAO and IICA will also be around the table in these unprecedented global discussions, expected to generate first-of-its-kind understandings between world governments and business to create a safer food supply.
GFSI will also announce its key breakthrough in the highly-anticipated publication of the Benchmarking Requirements V7, the world’s most widely accepted benchmarking criteria which acts as a “food safety passport” across global supply chains. The Chair of the GFSI Board of Directors will explain what this means for the industry amidst the current context of international trade, the U.S. FDA’s Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), food fraud challenges and increased demand for transparency – all for the benefit of consumers around the globe.
There will also be a focus on the collaborative work done by the industry via GFSI on Food Safety Culture, capability building with GFSI’s Global Markets Programme for operations who lack or have undeveloped food safety systems and harmonization, with announcements from Irene Rosenfeld, Chairman and CEO of Mondelēz International and Danny Wegman, CEO of Wegmans Food Markets. They will lend their unique perspective as members of the Board of Directors of The Consumer Goods Forum, where they represent GFSI to 51 other CEOs of leading retail and manufacturing companies.
WHEN: Press Conference: Tuesday, February 28 at 11 a.m.
Global Food Safety Conference: Tuesday 9 a.m. to Thursday 12:45 p.m.
Press passes include access to the full business programme.
WHERE: Hilton Americas-Houston
1600 Lamar Street
Houston, TX 77010
Press conference: Level 3, Room #343 | Press room: Level 3, Room #332
THEME: “Leadership for Growth” is the theme of GFSI’s 16th Global Food Safety Conference. In a striking demonstration that “food safety must come from the top” in a company food safety culture, eight CEOs of leading food industry companies will take the stage at this important global event.
Business growth • consumer trust • food safety • international trade harmonization • capability building • food safety culture • collaboration beyond borders and barriers • public-private partnerships • supply chain management • regulations • compliance • traceability • certification • food safety management systems • food fraud • recalls • listeria control • audits • innovation • technology • cross contamination • allergens • transparency • whole genome sequencing • transparency
WHO: The conference is hosted by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), the global industry-driven collaboration for Safe Food for Consumers, Everywhere.
The conference speaker lineup includes over 70 experts and thought leaders set to take the stage over the 3 days of conference sessions, such as:
- Dave MacLennan, CEO, Cargill
- Doug Baker, CEO, Ecolab
- John P. Bilbrey, CEO, The Hershey Company
- Irene Rosenfeld, CEO, Mondelēz
- Tom Hayes, incoming CEO, Tyson Foods
- Danny Wegman, CEO, Wegmans Food Markets
- Emmanuel Faber, CEO, Danone (video message)
- Roberta Bondar, Astronaut, Physician, Scientist
- Adam Shaw, Journalist & Presenter, BBC
- Stephen Ostroff, Deputy Commissioner, Office of Foods & Veterinary Medicine, S. Food & Drug Administration, FDA
- Representatives from national government agencies including S. FDA, Canada’s CFIA, China’s CNCA, the Netherlands’ Ministry of Economic Affair and Mexico’s Senasica.
The Coca-Cola Company • McCormick • Ahold Delhaize • General Mills • Hormel Foods • Land O’Lakes • McDonalds • Nestlé • Carrefour • Tesco • and many more.
Press Conference announcements from:
- Irene Rosenfeld, Chairman and CEO of Mondelēz International
- Danny Wegman, CEO of Wegmans Food Markets
- Mike Robach, Vice President, Corporate Food Safety, Quality & Regulatory for Cargill, Inc. USA & Chair of the GFSI Board of Directors
- Peter Begg, Sr. Director, Global Quality Programs, Mondelez International & GFSI Board of Directors
- Hugo Fragoso, Director General, Senasica, Mexico